RIR with tumor??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HandyHen, Jul 23, 2011.

1. HandyHen

HandyHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    I have a 3 yo RIR hen and the past month she rarely laid an egg - maybe 2. It's been very hot. But 2 weeks ago I picked her up and noticed her belly - below the vent - was as tight as a drum. Long story short, she had an x-ray and was not eggbound. Fecal test showed no worms. She's barely been eating or drinking unless I handfeed her. Kept her in the house for a week and monitored her intake. She wasn't very active and didn't even try to fly out of the open box when she was inside. Gave her several warm baths with little but yellowy white coming out. Most of her poop is diarrhea.

Anyone had anything like this happen? I'm afraid it might be a tumor and not quite sure what to do.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may very well be a tumor--not at all uncommon in older birds. Keep her as comfortable as is possible, and when there is no longer "quality of life"--- do what needs to be done. Good luck.

3. HandyHen

Dec 15, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    That's what I was afraid of although, I'm aware you haven't seen her. But she's not really interested in your usual "must have" foods today and is pretty much staying under the little coop out of the heat. I think she's happiest out there with her feathered friends and not inside being pampered by me. Thanks for your insight.

I don't think I can actually do "what needs to be done" - I'm pure chicken when it comes to that. I just hope she passes quickly if that's the case....

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She may be laying internally.
    When the time comes, if you can't, let the vet do it. If she's in pain, she will suffer until she dies.
    Sorry. [​IMG]

5. HandyHen

Dec 15, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    Karen -
    I had an xray done this past Wednesday and no eggs were shown - that was my initial concern, too.
    Good point about the suffering - thanks for your thoughts...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by