RIR with white eggs?

bjash

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Moline, MI
I have 11 RIRs (production reds mainly) that were hatched earlier last spring, so they're not quite a year old yet. We've been getting eggs from the since September last year (average of 9 with a range of 6-11 each day)--all large and brown to light brown.

During the past few weeks, we have noticed the occasional white egg each day (about 4 in the past week). It really sticks out compared to the other ones, but is about the same size as the rest.

Do we have a RIR laying an occasional white egg???
hu.gif

Has anyone else every ran into this with RIRs or production reds where they may occasionally break stride and go white?

We're in Michigan and it is wintertime with cold temps--is it something from the temperatures?

Last edited:
Nothing to do with temps. Are they truly white, or are they just really pale in color? Brown egg layers can actually have a thick, extra coating over their eggs that make them appear much lighter. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got one in there that isn't purebred at all.

10 of the 11 were from the same batch (production reds), the 11th one is a true RIR (single comb).

The egg is as white as what is sold in the store.

Quote:
Pictures of the girls from this fall:
RIRs.jpg

Pictures of 2 of the white eggs (we already ate 2 of the other ones and they were just like the rest--good!
big_smile.png
):
Eggs.jpg

You can easily tell which 2 are the white ones.

Last edited:
I apologize for the lighting, but the 2 on the right side are very white (just like the ones from the store).

They do look brown to me too, and I know the lighting is weird but trust me, they look like a very pale brown.

Back
Top Bottom