RIR with White Feathers Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Goldengirls123, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Goldengirls123

Goldengirls123 New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    My three girls are about 21 weeks old now. In just one month they have grown white feathers almost all over their bodies. I've looked all over the internet and I haven't seen much about this. I'm very worried for them since I'm not sure on what is causing this.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. There are white rocks and other white breeds. Perhaps they are not the breed that you thought, or they were mixed. Many chickens don't get their true coloring until later. Some can change color after their first molt. Can you post a picture? When they are older, many on here can help identify breeds with good pictures of combs and a side shot to show their shapes.

3. Goldengirls123

Goldengirls123 New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Thank you for the welcome!this is a picture I took of them today.Can you tell anything from this? She has the most white feathers. She even has then all along her neck [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think you have mixes, but they will probably be pretty hens that lay well for you. The spots look a bit like my mille fleur.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are in apparent good health, and the 'off colored' feathering is not indicative of any problem.

6. Goldengirls123

Goldengirls123 New Egg

Dec 11, 2016
    Thank you for all the replies! It's a big relief that it isn't anything bad. This is my first time having chickens so I wasn't sure what was happening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by