RIR X Oriental Game?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by racuda, Jan 25, 2009.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    What can I expect from an oriental game Rooster and a production RIR hen? Will the temperament be like one or the other and will the egg production be good like a RIR or poor like an oriental game? What about the appearance? Here is the roo:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    It will be Better laying than a Game But not as good as a RIR. It won't be as aggressive as a game either.

3. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I made that cross before.
    Here is a pic of the hen I raised from that cross.
    [​IMG]

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Great! How does she lay?

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Wonderful looking bird.

6. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I made a couple of those also and they looked like the one WClawence posted a pic of. They were from my Gold Phoenix Roo and RIR hens. I don't think I have any pics of them and I gave them away to my neighbor about 5 months ago. The were very pretty looking and I hated giving them away but I didn't have a place to keep them seperate from all my others to keep them from mixing.

Jayare

7. wclawrence

She was a good layer, laying fifty or so eggs before going broody.
    I bred her to me Rosecomb Phoenix rooster and raised one pullet, then she died.
    Here goes a picture of the pullet which is Rosecomb Phoenix X (Asil x RIR)

[​IMG]

Another from a different angle. The rooster in the back is her daddy.
    [​IMG]

8. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    I bred a Brown Red Game Roo with RIR hens and all the pullets are colored very much like a Brown Red Game pullet, and the cockerals are colored more like a RIR. They are only 16 weeks old so can't tell you how well they lay yet or what color the eggs will be. They are intermediate size between the two breeds and the temperment is in between the two breeds as well.

9. wclawrence

I bet those are neat looking birds, do you have any pics?

10. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Quote:Thats funny.... have you ever had either breed? I'd be scared that they would get the aggressiveness from the RIR!

We have a Buff Brahma X American Game pullet running the yard right now. Picture a wheaten hen, only buff colored all over. Very pretty. Gamefowl have been used for centuries to add vigor and strength to the gene pools of barnyard fowl, (i.e. the RIR, Brahmas, Cornish, etc., etc.) You will find that a game cross will be very nice birds.

[​IMG]
    Buff Brahma X American Games

[​IMG]
    Buff Brahma X, and RIR x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by