RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreenGoddess, Jun 10, 2009.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Ok.. After thinking about it time and time again I just have to know... We picked out a few RIR's from a local breeder but one of them just stands out like a sore thumb... I know the guy has a mix of breeds but he assured us that they were all the same breed that we picked out... Maybe someone on here can give me some insight...

Definately a RIR! Almost 3 months old.
    [​IMG]

And here's all 3 small ones that I don't have a question about
    [​IMG]

NOW... The questionsable oddball!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see from the pics, the oddball chick is feathering out MUCH more slowly, does not have a tail yet and looks "different" than the others... Maybe it's just a different sex than the others since I've read on several sites that RIR's roos get tail feathers slower?? (I think I remembered that correctly).. They are 3 weeks old.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Actually, the first one does not look like a RIR. Legs are the wrong color. Looks like a mixed breed. No idea in the last ones-can't tell from the pic.

3. Actually none of them look like my RIR. But maybe it's just the pics, alittle hard to see.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    First picture isnt a RIR.. The 3 chicks hard to tell Id say no... The last 2 pictures that is getting better it could be..
    Pic. are fuzzy..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: