Rir?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spiffwilkie, Jun 10, 2011.

1. spiffwilkie

spiffwilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I've seen some talk on here about many chicks that are being sold as RIRs actually being production reds. I'm still very new to the chicken-raising scene, so I don't really know the difference between the two (or the other breeds that may look similar), although I'm off to research now.

Anyhow, I purchased this one as a RIR at the local feed store. Does that seem to be the case?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Certainly looks like the hatchery RIR I have, but she's only 5 weeks old. I'm interested in what others say as well!

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Looks just like my RIR. Mine came from a hatchery also.

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yep! you can tell the difference because RIRs will be red and black, whereas production reds will be red and white

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    and light red and black is a new hampshire, which is what she kind of looks like in the last photo

6. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    Quote:not quite true prodution reds are RIRs that have been breed for prodution and not to conferm to standerd if you got her form a hatchery then she is a production red

the red and white ones you are talking about are red sex liks ,red stars, golden comets or cenamon quween which are all the same and are hydreed for egg laying but not prodution reds

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:not quite true prodution reds are RIRs that have been breed for prodution and not to conferm to standerd if you got her form a hatchery then she is a production red

the red and white ones you are talking about are red sex liks ,red stars, golden comets or cenamon quween which are all the same and are hydreed for egg laying but not prodution reds

Sill not quit right but closer. [​IMG]

There are two popular types of "Production Red" one is a R.I. Red bred solely for egg production and selectively bred solely from the R.I. Red. These birds tend to have some black in there tail and some ticking in there hackles.
    The other type "Production Red" is a cross and the result of R.I. Red with Leghorn blood added. These birds tend to be lighter in color and may have some white in there tail.

Some Hatcheries clam that there R.I. Red /New Hampshire cross is a Production but to me that cant be any further from the truth since the New Hampshire was bred solely from R.i. Reds and were bred mainly for meat and not egg Production.

Chris

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by