RIR?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mawmawBo, Aug 19, 2013.

1. mawmawBo

mawmawBo New Egg

Dec 22, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is my chicken I got her at the local feed store, I thought she was a RIR, but she lays olive green eggs and has gave me 15 eggs in 17 days since she started laying[​IMG]Which I'm Very Happy About, but I thought it was my EE laying the eggs till we saw Sally do it( the RIR? ). Can anyone tell me what breed she is??? Thank You!

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Definitely not RIR (the black ticking around the neck). She is an EE of some sort.

Since she is laying olive green eggs, she has to have a dark egg layer on one side of the family (like a Barnvelder, Welsummer, or Marans, or Pendesenca, etc.) and either EE or Ameraucana or Araucana blood on the other side of the family.

A good link to read about Olive Egger is at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

My guess is Welsummer and EE....but that's a guess because her coloring suggests a bit of my Welsummer mix.

You are lucky! I want an Olive Easter Egger!

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. mawmawBo

mawmawBo New Egg

Dec 22, 2012
    Thank you for your imput, I was going nuts, I really thought I had a RIR. I am new to backyard chickens and no one else around here has any. I have to rely on forums like this and what I read. Again Thank You!!! P.S. I'm very Proud of my girls,and they do great with the grandkids. They will squat when the kids go to pick them up, no fussing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by