RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hmkeea, Mar 26, 2015.

1. hmkeea

hmkeea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    Michigan
    I was told this chick, who is about 5 & 1/2 weeks old, is a Rhode Island Red. After reading alot of the threads and breed questions on here about people who think they have a RIR but actually have a Production Red, Im starting to wonder about this one.

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I don't think it's a production red. It looks like an RIR.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Production Red to me.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Production Red. You'll almost never find a true Rhode Island Red unless you get one from a breeder.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Agreed. The is little or no difference between "hatchery quality" Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds. Both hatchery quality RIRs and PRs lack the deep body, dark mahogany coloring and profuse black tail feathers of APA pure Rhode Island Reds.

6. hmkeea

hmkeea Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Quote:Why and how do the farm stores have signs on individual bins of chicks saying that they are Rhode Island Red, or Araucana, or various others if they are not? I also got chicks out of a bin labeled Araucana, come to find out they are NOT, they are easter eggers. Which is fine, I am happy with all of the chicks I have, but it is very misleading to those just starting out with raising chickens. I thought about calling the store, but decided against it, I will be more informed next time around!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The feed stores are simply resellers from the hatchery in most cases. Feed store employees simply label the bins as they're instructed. The hatchery labeling chicks has been an ongoing issue. However, most folks buying chicks at a feed store aren't too picky what there going to get, and don't expect high quality birds, just nice backyard layers. That's what hatcheries churn out by the thousands.

1 person likes this.
  9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Agreed on both counts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by