RIRed hen or not?

saymoe

Hatching
Jun 16, 2016
18 weeks has not squawked or crowed but is talkative. Has more red comb than other two RIT I got at same time.

I bought these on feb 10. I gave away one earlier today and the person did not believe he was 18 weeks.
They live a life on green grass and lotsa food.
Thank u for reply

I bought these on feb 10. I gave away one earlier today and the person did not believe he was 18 weeks.
They live a life on green grass and lotsa food.
Thank u for reply

Yes, but how old were they when you got them? Day old chicks? It really does look like a pullet because of the feathering, but with comb and wattles that size at 18 weeks should be a cockerel. Maybe it is just an early bloomer pullet, or a late blooming cockerel.

Yes, but how old were they when you got them? Day old chicks? It really does look like a pullet because of the feathering, but with comb and wattles that size at 18 weeks should be a cockerel. Maybe it is just an early bloomer pullet, or a late blooming cockerel.

They were day old chicks. I had a for sure rooster 3 weeks younger, a Barnevelder, that walked, talked and was all rooster by 12 weeks or so. This one is a head scratcher for me...the comb & wattles and (s)he is a bit edgy has me thinking roo
When you say feathering...what is difference from hen n roo?
Thank you

They were day old chicks. I had a for sure rooster 3 weeks younger, a Barnevelder, that walked, talked and was all rooster by 12 weeks or so. This one is a head scratcher for me...the comb & wattles and (s)he is a bit edgy has me thinking roo
When you say feathering...what is difference from hen n roo?
Thank you

Cockerels have pointy hackle and saddle feathers. They have long, shiny sickle feathers too. Pullets have shorter, round feathers and a fan. Your RIR has pullet feathering but a cockerel's comb and wattles. I'm going to go with a late blooming cockerel, but I would wait a few more weeks to be sure. I'm not really certain though, so hopefully you'll get another opinion or two.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom