RIRed hen or not?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saymoe, Jun 16, 2016.

1. saymoe

saymoe New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    18 weeks has not squawked or crowed but is talkative. Has more red comb than other two RIT I got at same time. [​IMG]

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    It really looks like a pullet that is close to laying. Are you sure it is only 18 weeks old?

3. saymoe

saymoe New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    I bought these on feb 10. I gave away one earlier today and the person did not believe he was 18 weeks.
    They live a life on green grass and lotsa food.
    Thank u for reply

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Yes, but how old were they when you got them? Day old chicks? It really does look like a pullet because of the feathering, but with comb and wattles that size at 18 weeks should be a cockerel. Maybe it is just an early bloomer pullet, or a late blooming cockerel.

5. saymoe

saymoe New Egg

Jun 16, 2016
    They were day old chicks. I had a for sure rooster 3 weeks younger, a Barnevelder, that walked, talked and was all rooster by 12 weeks or so. This one is a head scratcher for me...the comb & wattles and (s)he is a bit edgy has me thinking roo
    When you say feathering...what is difference from hen n roo?
    Thank you

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Cockerels have pointy hackle and saddle feathers. They have long, shiny sickle feathers too. Pullets have shorter, round feathers and a fan. Your RIR has pullet feathering but a cockerel's comb and wattles. I'm going to go with a late blooming cockerel, but I would wait a few more weeks to be sure. I'm not really certain though, so hopefully you'll get another opinion or two. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by