1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR's, 3 weeks old, help sex them PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SilkieCRZYness, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Can someone who knows Rhode Island Reds determine the genders for me, they are 2 1/2-3 weeks old, thanks alot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Picture number 8 looks like a rooster.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Eight definitely is and two, four, and six look questionable. I could tell for sure on my RIR's at 4 weeks old. Wait another week or so and it will be easier to tell. [​IMG]

4. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    ya i know he is the rest i dont know...i mean maybe there all pullets, not likely, but ne one know on RIR's how to tell by the color of the beaks around this age, or the feathers, not just the crown? thanks

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I had 12 RIR's to start with and 8 of them turned out to be roos. You really can't tell the sex of them by the beak color of the feathers. It's usually the size of the combs and the thickness of its legs. I really tried hard to tell before mine reached 4 weeks, but never really could until that time. I was certain that most of them were pullets, but then around 4 weeks their combs and started to really grow and got bright orange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by