1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR's and new Golden comets/red stars

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by K-9Dog, Sep 16, 2012.

1. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    I have 2 RIR's that are about 7 1/2 months old maybe. just purchased 2 Golden comet/red stars that are maybe 20 plus weeks old and laying. My RIR's are very nasty to the new comets. they stay in the coop most of the time. I have had to use a small soft plastic 6" leaf rack to kind of stop the stuff today after a few days of fighting. I hope it will get better. but any somments would be appreciated. I have to let them haqve access to the coop and nest box area so separating them is not an option and also due to the setup I have too. Thanks.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It will get better. They have to establish a pecking order and sometimes it gets brutal. If there is no injuries leave them to it, peace will come more quickly. Also the more room they have, the sooner as well

3. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    Ok Thanks! I kind of figured from what i read and know; but I am still new to this chicken thing. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by