Rirs Anyone??

Foleys

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Toccoa
We Own Rir's Or Rsl. I Am Lookin For Some More Ppl Who Own The Same, And Can Tell Me A Little About Them And What Experiences Thay Have Had Raising Them.

I have one RIR hen, her name is Izzy, and she is awesome! Friendly, very chatty and curious, and the boss of her group, which consists of three EEs. She's a sweetheart. I can pick her right up. My hubby says she's the smartest hen we have....LOL

Hi Chicmom,
We just got our RIRs and have not named them wich would be preatty hard to tell them apart cause they look all the same. Do you think I should try to pick them up and pet tem to get them used to me to where I dont have to try to catch them to pet them?

Quote:
Definitely! Handle them as much as possible. Get them used to being handled now and save yourself a boatload of problems in the future. There will come a time when you need to check them for parasites or injuries down the line, and having chickens that are used to being held makes that much easier. I let my 5 y.o. break in the babies. She plays with them for hours on end, gives them treats, teaches them "tricks," etc. When they get older she encourages them to squat so she can pick them up and carry them around. Our hens are very docile and well trained as a result.

I always wait to name them until they are old enough to tell apart, but some folks use leg bands to keep track of who is who.

Have fun with your new chickens. I just got RIRs about a month ago and they are sweet.

I sat in their run today for about 45 minutes and feed them fresh strawberrys from my garden and they were going crazy....
smile.png
They even got brave and came close to me maby I am making some progress. When should I check them out for that stuff. and what would I be looking for exactly???
Quote:
Definitely! Handle them as much as possible. Get them used to being handled now and save yourself a boatload of problems in the future. There will come a time when you need to check them for parasites or injuries down the line, and having chickens that are used to being held makes that much easier. I let my 5 y.o. break in the babies. She plays with them for hours on end, gives them treats, teaches them "tricks," etc. When they get older she encourages them to squat so she can pick them up and carry them around. Our hens are very docile and well trained as a result.

I always wait to name them until they are old enough to tell apart, but some folks use leg bands to keep track of who is who.

Have fun with your new chickens. I just got RIRs about a month ago and they are sweet.

Hello Katy,
I know they are not the same but I have been told by some ppl that they are RIRs and Some that they are RsL....What do you think???
57285_chickens2_008.jpg
57285_chickens2_015.jpg
And what do you think this roo is???
57285_chickens_004.jpg

Quote:
RIR and RSLs are not the same breed.

Look more like PRoduction Reds to me too I have an awesome PR named Alice who started laying yesterday! She follows me everywhere and jumps for treats
big_smile.png

Nice looking birds you have there!
Here's Alice Now:
100_4998.jpg

And here she is when much youngerl:
100_3856.jpg

Back
Top Bottom