1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR's for meat

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sgarrison, Apr 14, 2009.

1. sgarrison

sgarrison Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Slate Hill, NY
    Anyone use RIR's for meat? I have an opportunity to get a bunch straight run....

2. Hippie Chickie

Hippie Chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Port Orchard
    My Grandma does, and I'm planning on it.

3. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    i've got some ordered as well.. but i have to say my current RIR layer is my favorite hen ever. so i need to make sure she doesnt get in the 'processing' line up when its time!

4. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    My RIR is definitly the best layer Ive ever seen, by far!

I couldnt imagine eating any of my chickens though.. lol

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    its not as bad as you think. we had rooster day not too long ago to get rid of 5 extra roosters. they were delicious - no crying and no nightmares. just good chicken and dumplins.

but just not Henrietta. Or Angel. Or Zippy. sigh. but i guess thats why they have meat chickens, right?
    ;-)

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

RIR are a deal when bought straight run. The hens are excellent layers and the roosters definitely make great meat birds !

Go for it !

7. kalimist99

kalimist99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    are the hens good meat birds? about what age do you slaughter them?

8. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    There hasn't been much attention paid to size in the breeding of egg producers (except that smaller is generally better), so I would expect Rhode Island Red hens to be rather scrawny. I have butchered one RIR rooster and he didn't produce much meat, but obviously the sample size is rather small.

9. lnm03

lnm03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    We just butchered 6 RIR roosters a few weeks ago...Didn't plan on it initially so we didnt feed them as if they were meat birds so there wasnt a ton of meat on them (dont know how big of a difference that would make)...almost needed 2 to feed my famliy of 5. However the one we ate was absolutely DELICIOUS!

edited for typo [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  10. exsia

exsia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Damascus, Oregon
    I just had some the other day. They were 5months old and allowed to roam free all day. Not bad, very tasty and meaty (if not compared to cornish x) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by