RIR's for Show Pics included

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Julie in Al, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Julie in Al

Julie in Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    This is one of the breeds I am working on for Showing. This is one of my 5 1/2 month pullets[​IMG]

This is my rosecomb YOung Roo. YOu can see he doesn't have his tail feathers in good yet

[​IMG]

Big Red Jr. He is much bigger than Big Red. Hasn't got all his tail feathers in yet either

[​IMG]

Group pic

[​IMG]

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    pretty

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just awesome color! Julie, Scarlett, Big Red's daughter, is just dropdead gorgeous! Her comb and wattles are finally big and she is a real looker. Thank you for sending those eggs. And the RIR/Buff Orp cross girl from Big Red is a real beauty, too, and the friendliest thing. She's just the most flaming orangey redhead-she glistens in the sunlight.

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have all hatchery RIR's and their color is nothing like that. They are beautiful and what RIRed's are supposed to look like!

5. speckledhen

Here is Scarlett this morning from Julie's RIR stock. She is 28 weeks old and just shines in the sun:
    [​IMG]

6. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    I got some of the eggs from a master breeder who is a district Rep or whatever they call them for the RIR club. He had some eggs he brought to the Show is Lake City Fl last year for someone else who didn't show and I was asking all the ones who had some awesome birds if they had any for sale. I highly reccomend going to a really large show where they have Standard and Bantam sizes.

7. speckledhen

I wish I could go to a show like that! We never have those types of shows, at least that I can find. I did go to a bantam club show in Dalton, but havent been able to locate anything within that distance since then. And you know I like the BIG ones, LOL.

8. Julie in Al

Jan 18, 2007
    Dothan, Al
    I had to drive 5 hours. That is about as close as I have seen for me to get to go one of any substance. I had to drive 3 hrs for a bantam show. Thank goodness my sister lived close the one five hours away. I plan on going again this coming year.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hard to find those RIR "classic" type.....hatchery birds never look like those you got pictured there! From what I know their conformation should be "brick" body and surely yours does but the hatchery RIR more "V" type body that tells me that they were probably cross breeds.

From what I research online, I heard that someone said Mohawk lines are the best you can get around but we dont have those kind of lines here in Illinois.

Man, those are beauties!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Now that bird is a beauty! That's some good real RIR coloring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by