Songster
11 Years
May 29, 2008
South Eastern Massachusetts
11142_chix3.jpg
[/img]

11142_chix2.jpg
[/img]

They look like my 6 11 week old girls. I am very new to all this..so I will be waiting for the more experienced members to chirp in.

They're young.........guessing 10/12 wks. Hold them a lot, even if they don't like it. They will be begging you to in a few weeks...............You're gonna LOVE your RIR's. Promise!

Thanks I hope so!! Rhoda is in #1 and seemed to always be around 2-3 days older than #2 Shelly, getting feathers sooner etc But as of yesterday Shelly is clucking, her comb got bigger and her wattles are redder. She is also not as dark as Rhoda. Is it possible she is a production Red??

Rhoda who I thought was older is still peeping, she is also darker with more black and holds her tail more outward and upward, where as Shellys is outward and down a bit, I have better pics but cant get them to post. They will be 11 weeks tomorrow by my best guess.

No green in their tails, Which from what I know will mean that it would be a rooster, who they have green in their tails at this age?

Interesting........My first rir was named Rhoda.........common I suppose. Now I have 13 more. Hey, if you have a production red........that's great. I have 14 and just love 'em. Nice girls and HUGE eggs. They are actually similar that way.......but the rir's just shimmer in the sunlight and soooo friendly and docile.

I'm new to all of this(first year) but they do look like girls to me, and I was surprised by a Rooster
ep.gif

But they look alot more like my ISA Brown and Red Sex-link than my RIR. My RIR is much darker.

Might be easier to tell when the eggs come? The RIR's are supposed to lay 250 eggs in their first year whereas the other two breeds I have are supposed to lay 300. Hope that helps?

I replaced my Rooster with the RIR, bought her as a point of lay hen.

Again, I'm new to this so maybe some of the RIR's are lighter colored too? All of the ones I saw were darker though.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom