RIR's girls??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kathy1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    They look like my 6 11 week old girls. I am very new to all this..so I will be waiting for the more experienced members to chirp in.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    They're young.........guessing 10/12 wks. Hold them a lot, even if they don't like it. They will be begging you to in a few weeks...............You're gonna LOVE your RIR's. Promise!

4. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks I hope so!! Rhoda is in #1 and seemed to always be around 2-3 days older than #2 Shelly, getting feathers sooner etc But as of yesterday Shelly is clucking, her comb got bigger and her wattles are redder. She is also not as dark as Rhoda. Is it possible she is a production Red??

Rhoda who I thought was older is still peeping, she is also darker with more black and holds her tail more outward and upward, where as Shellys is outward and down a bit, I have better pics but cant get them to post. They will be 11 weeks tomorrow by my best guess.

No green in their tails, Which from what I know will mean that it would be a rooster, who they have green in their tails at this age?

5. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Interesting........My first rir was named Rhoda.........common I suppose. Now I have 13 more. Hey, if you have a production red........that's great. I have 14 and just love 'em. Nice girls and HUGE eggs. They are actually similar that way.......but the rir's just shimmer in the sunlight and soooo friendly and docile.

6. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I could be wrong, but they look like girls to me. [​IMG]

7. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I'm new to all of this(first year) but they do look like girls to me, and I was surprised by a Rooster [​IMG]

But they look alot more like my ISA Brown and Red Sex-link than my RIR. My RIR is much darker.

Might be easier to tell when the eggs come? The RIR's are supposed to lay 250 eggs in their first year whereas the other two breeds I have are supposed to lay 300. Hope that helps?

I replaced my Rooster with the RIR, bought her as a point of lay hen.

Again, I'm new to this so maybe some of the RIR's are lighter colored too? All of the ones I saw were darker though. [​IMG]

8. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    My Rir has never missed a day of laying.

9. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Quote:Does yours have the color in those pix or is it darker?

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Look just like my RIR pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by