RIR's not laying.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mnswm2, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mnswm2

Mnswm2 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    Hello all, I just (three weeks ago) got four one month olds then one of my co-workers gave me three one year olds two weeks ago. Two RIR's and an Americana. the Americana has laid two eggs so far and nothing from the RIR's. Do you think they are stressed out from the move, maybe stressed because the four little ones or because of the building (hammering, sawing, pounding) of my chicken run attached to the coop that I'm building. Or maybe it the cold and rainy weather here in Duluth, MN.

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    So they're about 18 weeks old? They may need a little more time than that. Also, with the days getting shorter from here on out it isn't going to help any, but it will be a few weeks before the shorter days are noticeable. Just give them some more time...

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I guess you were asking about the older birds... Yes, it may just be stress from the move, the hammering, changes in diet, etc... They just need to get comfortable in their new surroundings.

4. Mnswm2

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    I'm not expecting much from the little ones for awhile but figured the one year olds would be producing. I will wait and see what happens.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

[​IMG]

Another thing that will effect egg laying is the heat. Has it been unusually hot this month in your area?

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    perchie.girl :

[​IMG]

Another thing that will effect egg laying is the heat. Has it been unusually hot this month in your area?

In Duluth? I think it just stopped snowing a few weeks ago. [​IMG]

7. Mnswm2

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    LOL. The ice is off most of the lakes now.

8. Mnswm2

May 11, 2011
    Duluth
    It's been in the 40's here at night and maybe in the 50's during the days. Maybe I should add light during the day in to coop. It's been so dark and gloomy. The run is almost done so they will be able to go outside starting this weekend. We are going to have sun and almost seventy this weekend.

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:In Duluth? I think it just stopped snowing a few weeks ago. [​IMG]

LOL.... Been 95 to 100 here more than once already...

10. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls went off the lay after my toddler went and visited them inside the hen house [​IMG].. they were fine once they settled down a few days later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by