RIR's not using nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clemson11, Aug 13, 2008.

1. clemson11

clemson11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    2 RIR's never go in thei nest box, and they don't sleep on their roosts. They sleep in the corner of the coop on the floor, should they be doing that? They are 6 months old and have not layed yet, they have deep red combs and wattles but no eggs. Anyway just wondering if I have something wrong with them or what.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Six months and they are not laying??? they should be. to encourage laying in the next box, i put golf balls in , cuz they like to lay where other eggs are. they seem to think the golf balls are eggs. have you switched from chick starter to layer crumbles yet? They will need the calcium to produce hard egg shells.

3. clemson11

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    here is what I am using right now:

16% LAY PELLET
    For all classes of Poultry
    CODE# 9425
    GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Crude Protein(min).................................................16.0%
    Lysine (min)............................................................0.80%
    Methionine (min)....................................................0.20%
    Crude Fat (min).........................................................3.0%
    Crude Fiber (max).....................................................5.5%
    Calcium............(min).........3.5 %...........(max)..........4.5%
    Phosphorus (min).......................................................0.7%
    Salt....................(min)..........0.2 %.........(max)..........0.70%
    Vitamin A (min).................................................2,500 IU/lb
    Vitamin D (min)....................................................700 IU/lb
    Vitamin E (min).........................................................9 IU/lb

should I be using something different?

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    When did you switch to this? Just recently I hope, and that is good. they should be laying any day now. And Murphy's law dictates that there is probably an egg in your nest box right now--since you questioned it. [​IMG]

5. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    they need a seperate dish of crushed oyster shells and layer feed. as far as not roosting I have 8 and most of them sleep in the doghouse instead of there house with roost.

6. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:They are not laying yet, and this food has calcium in it. I would wait to see the quality of the egg shell before getting the oyster shell. JMO

7. clemson11

Apr 27, 2008
    UT
    thank you all for your tips, I will try them!!!! [​IMG]

8. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    I thought they had to have the shells at age of laying (coming soon) so the shells are hard.
    Quote:They are not laying yet, and this food has calcium in it. I would wait to see the quality of the egg shell before getting the oyster shell. JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by