RIRs Rooster or Hens ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by waterguy81, Apr 16, 2011.

1. waterguy81

waterguy81 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Southwest Louisiana
    Hello, I have 26 RIRs that are 10 days old. How old do they get before you can tell the difference in Roosters and Hens ? So far it looks like 2 that I can tell so far are a bit lighter colored and bigger than the others, but I can't tell if they are eatting more than the others or possibly Roosters.

Are there any signs to look for as chicks, or do I need to wait until they get there combs, beards, and spurs ?

I have one that seems to come to my hand first everytime and actually likes to roost in my hand if I hold it off the ground when I check them at night. Once that one comes around me the others soon try to join it. I guess I need to put some kind of roost in there brooder box ??

Man, RIRs make you fall in love and make it hard to use them as a dual purpose bird ! Hard on the Heart !

Well, thanks in Advance.

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Hi, and [​IMG]

You should have enough posts under your belt, now, that you can post pics of a few of your birds, and we'll be glad to give you a few pointers.

Do any of the chicks have a darker line on the top/back of their heads? I've found that those are often pullets. At this point, you can look and see if any of the birds legs look thicker, and/or their combs are getting more prominent/pinker. Those would more likely be roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by