1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR's- what Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi,

I have 5 Rhode Island Reds that are 27 weeks old. They still haven't laid yet and i am wondering about their gender. Also if you think they are all pullets can you tell me how long do you think till they lay. Here are the pictures:

Darth Vader ( I think this one is the most likely to be a rooster)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the other 4 chickens ( I don't think any of these are roosters)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for the comments

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    All look like girls to me.[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] I have four hatchery RIR and they started about 19 weeks, but all birds are different!

RIR roos will have big floofy green tails and they would certainly have them by 27 weeks, I would think!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Looks like all hens to me, too.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    They look like girls to me. Maybe they are hiding there eggs. Do you ever hear the egg song? If they can't hide there eggs put a golf ball or a plastic egg in the nestbox. That should help. It also might be too cold and they don't want to lay eggs yet. Nature can be funny that way. I'm sure you will see something soon.

5. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    They have a run so i am sure they haven't hidden their eggs. I have a golf ball in the two nesting boxes that i built, i am putting a light in the coop tommorow to hopefully get that first egg

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Looks like girls to me. Any day now they will start dropping. Happy chickens is the key [​IMG]

7. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    They all look just like my 4 girls. Mine are 26 wks Monday and no eggs either. They're freeloaders...lol

8. VA Susan

VA Susan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    They're pretty! I have two 22 wk old RIR pullets and two mixed RIR pullets. One of them started laying pullet eggs two weeks ago. The others still are not laying. The combs will turn red when they are ready to lay. Someone also said that they get red faces before laying too. One of yours looked red in the face. The man who gave me the fertile eggs my four pullets came from said they would lay at anywhere from 24-26 wks, so you will probably find a little pullet egg soon!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  9. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hopefully I will get that egg

I have fixed a light into the coop to help them start laying as it is dark at 4 o'clock in england. Hopefully that will encourage them to start laying.

At least they are all girls
    [​IMG]

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    All pullets and all very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by