Rising cost of groceries...

ChickenToes

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
NE Wisconsin
Anyone else aggravated by the cost of groceries? I went shopping today and literally bought about half of what I normally do, and it was only about $20 cheaper than usual.
barnie.gif
This is especially annoying since my garden isn't even planted yet.

Anyone have any tips for beating the high prices?

I don't really have any tips besides buying in bulk and/or at large box stores as much as possible.

I share your frustration. The other day I had to fuel up, buy feed, get groceries, etc. I was depressed when I got home, because of how much more everything cost than it used to.

I try to do all my shopping in one day, to minimize extra trips. It saves gas and also saves my sanity, because that way I can stay home the rest of the week.
smile.png

I know it is terrible. EVERYTHING has gone up in price except what we bring into our homes as far as money to pay for it. It is starting to get scary because I do not see an end to it.

I agree. The cost of groceries is awful. We live in a small town with 1 store! You can imagine how much higher this means they can set their prices. We live an hour away from a city large enough to have a Sams or Walmart. With the cost of fuel I don't think it pays to drive there. It also means more time spent away from home which usually leads to going out for lunch or something else. It just seems like a lose lose situation. Please forgive me for being cranky! I just got home from the grocery store! And you now what? I am exhausted! My hubby called and said what on earth took you so long? It is hard to try to get everything we are out of and need for the money we can afford to spend. It means calculatting everything down to the serving. Searching the isles for special deals and digging through the discount cart! I tell you what, it wears me out! We are only a family of 3, one of which is a teenager! I cant imagine feeding a large family like some of you do. God Bless you! How do you do it?

It really is getting scary. I just spent a good 2 hours going through my pantry and reorganizing everything. Trying to calculate what we have and how we're going to get by. Time to get extra busy on my veggie garden.

barnie.gif
I know. I get a "cost of living" raise next month (which equals about $110) but that's like a tank of gas in the truck or about 1/2 the groceries for a few weeks!

It IS getting scary!

I've yet to plant my garden (I'm going tonight after work to get my plants)...I think it's time I learned how to can things?!

Quote:
It IS getting scary. I am fortunate to live near a "dent & bent" store which carries discounted items from grocery warehouses and local produce when in season. Their deli is very reasonable too.... $2-$3 less per pound on cheese & lunchmeat than the regular grocery stores. I try to take advantage of sales and stock up on staples and buy meat in bulk to repackage & freeze. I have a garden planted but also buy 12-14 doz ears of corn to freeze and this year I want to try making homemade tomato sauce to freeze.

It is depressing to go to the grocery store. I have recently started buying milk at Sams - today I paid $3.03 for a gallon of 2%. We go through about 3 gallons a week - sometimes more. I don't have a garden in the ground yet either - I don't think there are enough hours in my day.
barnie.gif

I'm planning to learn to can too this year. We're trying to find a cheap freezer so I can freeze extra veggies and meat. Unfortunately my 2 grocery stores are both Food Lion in the nearest town. They have no competition. It's Food Lion or drive an extra 15 minutes to Kroger.

I'm paying $4.59 for a gallon of milk. Time to get a goat! I already started making my own bread in the past 2 weeks and will continue to do so. I also sponsor a family in MS and ND and am getting to the point that I'm going to have to drop sending them a care package once a month. It kills me to do so because they have far less than I do.

Back
Top Bottom