Risks of adding new chicks to our flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gg706, Feb 16, 2013.

1. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    We ( my son and I) want to add some new birds to our flock. I have concerns for our existing flock as they came from a backyard breeder. This is the first time I would be introducing any birds to my existing flock. Our flock is almost a year old and free range all day so I am sure they have come across wild bird germs and have remained healthy. Is it possible for the chicks to make my existing birds sick as they have not been vaccinated for anything? The chicks will be quarantined for more than 30 days. The chicks will probably come in from Meyer Hatchey. My son is rather attached to our existing birds and would hate to order some chicks and have it turn into a nightmare. Any advice or experience is appreciated.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Newly hatched chicks are generally disease free. Buying day old chicks is generally accepted as safe and a preferred way to add new birds to an otherwise closed flock. New chicks generally don't go in with the established flock until they're 4 months or so, so you'd know if they had anything by then. But if you're getting them from a hatchery, and raising them yourself, I don't see how they'd get anything to give your older girls.

3. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you for the info. I am happy to hear that! Thank You for easing my mind! Can't wait to pick out some chicks!

4. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

At what age do you expect to integrate them together?

5. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    Whenever they were feathered out nice and were big enough to handle being with the adults. I plan to raise them in a dog crate in the garage until they are ready to go outside. Then seperate a small part of the tractor for them to sleep in....let the adults out to range and put the chicks in the range pen for the day...then back to the coop at night. will be alot until I can get them all together but i really cant build a whole new coop right now. Would that be too soon to have them in the same environment? They wont have access to each other but would be sharing space until I integrated them.

6. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I raised my chicks inside too until old enough to put them outside. I partitioned off part of my coop run and they got to know each other through the fence for about two weeks before I put them together. I covered up my crate with a black plastic to simulate a roosting place for them at nightfall. I was surprised how well they inter grated into the adult flock. There was a little picking and pecking order realignment (at the bottom end) for about a week or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by