1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Risks to Human Children?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Guavacoop, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Guavacoop

Guavacoop Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2007
    We're thinking about getting a couple of chicks to raise. My 4-year-old would be holding them. Does anyone know of, or know a good website about, any health risks (or lack thereof) to kids?
    Thanks,
    GC

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Your child will probably get chicken poop on his/her shoes...[​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Few birds and washing of hands = safe. Your household cat or dog is easily worse health wise than the birds.

4. Jsto

Jsto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    North Carolina
    Washing hands before and after handling is never a bad idea. I think you'll find that you want to, anyway. I don't know about anyone else, but my chickens track God knows what around on their feet and it usually ends up on my arm [​IMG] Today I think someone managed to pick up some dog poop and it eventually made it's way right onto my leg. Not pleasant at all!

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

well my chickens are freerange and they poop on the grass, my son plays football and the ball bounces on the poop, then he handles the ball, then comes inside to have a snack, he doesnt wash his hands everytime, but he never gets sick and he has built up great immunity.
    Possibly worms can be picked up but we have a regular worming program for all of us!!!!
    Go on get some chicks, you will all have fun, and eat fresh eggs!

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree with Bantymum. As a kid, we raised chickens every year. I can not remember how many times as kids we would come in from doing "chores" and had not washed before getting a snack. I have chickens, and am now a little more carefull. However.....there have been times when I would come in from the coop, and forget to wash my hands, when grabbing a piece of fruit or some snack. Im sure, as long as they are not eating the poo, they will be fine. Keep the chicken coop clean will of course help!

7. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Have a container of anti-bacterial wipes outside your coop and make it a rule to wipe hands down thoroughly after handling chickens. One of the guys on here does that with his kids and I thought it a wonderful idea.

8. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    yep...thats what we do too. We started that little habit with our son's hamster handling and he has continued to do it after playing with his chickens...and man he spends A HUGE AMOUNT OF TIME WITH HIS BIRDS!

His RIR rooster is too cute...he is 9 weeks old and made his first attempt at crowing yesterday...sounded like a sick bicycle horn hehehe.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    LOL that is sooo cute. Please can you post a pic?

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I don't yet have my chickens, but its the least of my concerns, getting a little dirty will beef up their immune system, which is never a bad thing.
    I might be a little more careful if the kids were playing with someone elses chickens, but it wouldn't be a big deal - just a month ago both my kids were playing with chickens and goats belonging to someone else, didn't wash hands, then we got back in the car for a long drive home..... nobody got sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by