ritual sacrifice

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tiki244, Oct 21, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have heard it mentioned twice in the last two days and I am aware of it. But, does anyone know exactly what happens? I am wondering if it is a long drawn out painful experience for the chicken? Just wondering because I do sell chickens at swaps and need to know, for my peace of mind, what is going on. Then I will be better able to 'screen' my buyers.

BTW: I heard Silkies are especially desired for this because of the black skin?!!!

ETA: Changed : ETA: Just to clarify. I try to find them all pet homes. But that is not always possible.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  2. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe (I'm no expert), that the people buying chickens for sacrifices would be those practicing Santeria, and as far as I know, their sacrifices are nothing worse than the equivalent of kosher slaughter.

I believe Santeria practices (their method of sacrifice) have been ruled humane in the past, but I can't be certain.

ETA:

"SanterĂ­a was traditionally transmitted orally, although in the last decade a number of books have been published on the tradition. Practices include dance, sung invocations to the orishas, sprinkling mercury around a home,[2] and animal offering, which is the most controversial ritual. The priests charged with doing the sacrifice are trained in humane ways to perform ritual slaughter,[citation needed] and the animal may be cooked and eaten afterward by the community. [Chicken]]s, a staple food of many African-descended and Creole cultures, are the most common sacrifice; the chicken's blood is offered to the orisha, while the meat may be consumed by all."

Found on Wikipedia.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thanks LittleYellowOne. That is good information to know. [​IMG]

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    DH wanted to sell some of our leftovers too. We found out that they only use male animals for sacrifice. That includes goats,chickens. When you go to auction watch the male goats command a very large pricetag compared to the females. That goes for the roosters as well I just read the wikipedia information. Thats not what I witnessed on the TV. When we lived in South Florida Fox news did an investigative report on sacrifices. The law had just been passed. They actually showed the sacrifices. They slit the goats neck and let it bleed into a bowl. All the while they were dancing and banging drums. No one ate the goat. If they eat the animals why do you find carcasses tied to trees all through Miami.
    That law passed because the people who wrote did not word it correctly. The way it was worded you could not have killed and eaten a lobster or fish. The supreme court had no choice but to pass it. There was a hugh legal battle years ago in Florida.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Well what kind of ritual sacrifices do Asian people do? I really do not think I am against it, if it is humane. I would just be interested to know more about it.

I do know that black is a significant color. Other than that I am clueless.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Not sure what Asian people you are talking about, but I'm Chinese. We eat black skin chicken just like any other chicken used for soup making. Prepared the same way, just believed to be healthy for you. Don't know of any "ritual sacrificing" gong on in this culture at least. From where my mom is from, hens are the preferred gender for food.

7. LittleYellowOne

LittleYellowOne Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know about sacrifice, but i do know that some Asian cultures believe that Silkie bones/flesh hold medicinal properties because of them being black.

8. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:Oh great! Our chickens and goats are dual purpose and we will sale some...but I never thought I would be possibly selling for rituals. Hey! Is this just brought up to scare us because Halloween is around the corner??? Man, I'm not going to get a shot gun, great Pyrenees and Mammoth donkey soon enough!!!

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:I think that is probably true. Some cosmetics on the market today have rooster combs in them.

And some Hmongs have asked to buy some of my Silkies. However I am not selling any at this time. And do not know if I will ever be selling any.

ETA: Now I am in no way trying to sound prejudiced. I am just curiouse.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Silkiechicken, we have a large Hmong culture here where I live. And I am just curiouse to find out more about what goes on.

I started really thinking about it when I was at this chickenrunrescue website that is based in the Minneapolis Metro area. It sounded like on that website that it was a bad thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by