Riverside, CA members, did you know about this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sherriekim, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    I just saw this article and it seems like to me, there are a few members of BYC that live in or close to Riverside, CA. If this was going on in my area, I would want to know about it. It would make a dent in my breeding plans, that's for sure! [​IMG]

RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) -- How many cock-a-doodle-doos will do? Voters in the city of Riverside decide next month how many roosters will be allowed in two rural areas.

Measure A on the Feb. 5 would limit to seven the number of crowing roosters people can keep in the "residential agricultural" and "residential conservation" zones.

Additionally, roosters would have to be confined to a sound-reducing enclosure no less than 100 feet from neighboring houses from sunset to sunrise.

The measure would pass if it gets a majority vote.

Measure A supporters of the measure say Riverside has become much more urbanized and crowing roosters detract from the quality of life. It would also suppress illegal cockfighting activities.

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Ohh no. How do we fix this. i love my roos. this sux.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I live in Norco and it would take an act of God for something like that to pass here! Thank goodness!

4. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote: Additionally, roosters would have to be confined to a sound-reducing enclosure no less than 100 feet from neighboring houses from sunset to sunrise.

This doesn't affect me since I'm in AZ but I found this part of the resolution amusing. It would never work with my roo because he crows ALL DAY!!! at the drop of a hat. I guess he forget to wear his watch! [​IMG]

Jacie

5. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] And why they think that this would stifle cockfighting just goes to show how rediculous this is in the first place. If you don't like the county way of living then stay out of the country. JMO

6. dbjay417

dbjay417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    my roo crows all day long in response to all the other neighborhood roos. LoL

I dunno what kinda yuppy scumbags think the sound of a rooster crowing detracts from quality of life.

Owning chickens and roos enriches ones life.

People should get off their pedestals and get their chicken on!

7. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    ironically, my partner and i were looking at properties in riverside online last night because we want to be able to keep multiple animals/breeds, including chickens and roosters! isn't this why people live in "rural" areas?!!!!
    i get the whole cockfighting aversion thing but what about people who are keeping roos in order to preserve particular breeds and such? there must be a better way to do this?!]

8. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Sounds like a repeat to me. White settlers moved in and expected the indians to move on! IMO....the chickens were there 1st so, if people can't deal with that then they can move elsewhere! IMO..!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by