rjkreutzer -- Newbie 12-28-2012

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rjkreutzer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. rjkreutzer

rjkreutzer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Iuka, Ms, USA
    I was exposed to chicken harvesting in Jr High school, my parents setup a Coop with a farmer , he raised the chickens and other animals, we helped butcher.
    I'm now 60, helped raised 4 children, 1 cat, 3 dogs. My Wife of 28 Years helped raise me. She was not exposed to Chickens till I shared the information that I was going to setup a coup in the back yard Before New Years this year.
    Built the coup from scratch (Will share photos later), Should be big enough to support 12 chickens. Have 6 at the moment.
    Started with 5 chickens no rooster, two are laying, had for 3 weeks. Neighbor had a rooster he said I could have. this Morning I introduced the rooster to the flock. Then the party began, He crowed, two of my "hens" crowed back. till today I had not had any crowing in my backyard just the bawk-bawk of hens and was I little taken aback.
    Went online to see what info was available on crowing hens? found Back yard chickens.com and a couple of others but I like the feel of BYC.
    Mollie is our Border Collie, she is doing her best to be a good chicken herder.
    As I am not a english major I write slow, so will add to this thread later

Thanks
    Richard & Celeste

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've heard of hens crowing and I had the privilege to see it once, but crowing back at the rooster! Hope they didn't confuse the poor boy!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] My wife of 48 years is still working at raising me - what can I say. Enjoy your flock and this site.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello, Richard & Celeste, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community!! Best of luck to you and your poultry keeping and have a Happy New Year!

6. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Greetings, Richard and Celeste! Welcome to our world of chickens.

[​IMG]

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. rjkreutzer

rjkreutzer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    Iuka, Ms, USA
    Update - Feb 19,2013
    Crowing "hen", turns out 2 of my birds where immature males. 2 weeks after I introduced the mature rooster, they bloomed with full head gear. Had too many roosters in the hen house. Returned the mature rooster after a month of letting him teach my two ( he did his job, and the hens knew who was taking care of them.) we ordered chicks (Delaware), got them today, 27 little bundles of energy. We have them setup in the laundry room. next project is to make the coop bigger. This is fun but the more I learn, the more I don't know. Knowledge with a purpose is much easier to retain.

[​IMG]
    This is CIC - chicken in charge
    I'll come back later and add more
    Thanks for being here
    Richard, Celeste and Crew

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by