RO Pullet / hen crooked beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Davlyn, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    Hi. I posted about this pullet awhile back. her beak is crooked. I am afraid to nip it back myself. It was suggested to just leave it. there are bricks & rocks in the chicken yard as well as along my gardens & she is not scrapping it on her own. This morn I noticed that another has poked 1 of her eyes must have happened last nite, it's now crusted over. I am thinking of bringing her inside. I want her to live. I am setting up an xlg dog crate/ cage for her in the basement.
    any ideas or suggestions. I would put her in my office if there was room so she would always have some company as my parakeets are there. When I am not working I am there alot.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    check out the thread Diary of a cross beak it has lots of good information in it. you can use a pedipaw to slowly trim the beak to make it easier for her to eat

3. Davlyn

Davlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Pike , NH
    TY.. we do have one. I have never used it, hubby tried on the dogs. after I washed her eye, I saw it was not poked out, just crusted over [​IMG]. she follows me like a puppy. I have not brought her in the house yet. Holding off now that her eye is ok. TY.. I'll read the thresd[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by