1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roaches in the Hen House

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by old biddy, Sep 30, 2010.

1. old biddy

old biddy New Egg

Sep 30, 2010
    Lamont
    I've had my chickens for 18 months now and this is the first time I have had a roach problem. Actually it started a couple of months ago and is now getting out of hand. I use the deep litter method using leaf litter from the woods and it has been working like a charm for over a year now. I recently cleaned out the hen house and put all the litter into my compost pile for next spring's use in the garden. I put in all fresh leaf litter. I seem to have a real roach problem now in the coop. Don't want to spray for obvious reasons...maybe this is normal for North Florida, though I went a long time without this problem til now. Does everyone have this situation?

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have seen wood reaches in with my birds but never anything I saw get out of hand.

3. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    hmmm....do you use DE with your deep litter method? I do, and don't have a bug problem. Although in Illinois we don't have many roaches outside like you would in Florida, probably because of the cold winters.

4. old biddy

old biddy New Egg

Sep 30, 2010
    Lamont
    I have not used DE ... I have 4 hives of honey bees close by and have heard that DE is harmful to the bees. But I suppose the bees won't be in the coop anyway, so I might give it a try. What is it in DE that would keep down the roach population?

5. dogdollar

dogdollar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    I am very surprised that your chickens haven't eaten all of the roaches. A roach doesn't have a chance around my girls.
    DD

6. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    We have what I would call wood roachs, outdoor bugs. I have one chicken who has learn to stand and wait while I open the back of the coop to see if any drop down. I use DE in my coop, boxes and outside on the ground for both bugs and smell. I never see more than a few at a time and the girls gobble them up!

7. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:I was mostly curious if you were using DE or not. If it's infact harmful to bees, I would refrain. Ours love to dustbathe in it, so it doesn't just stay in the coop. Some on here will argue the benefits of DE. For me, I believe it's a drying agent. I had a fly and odor problem in my coop prior to using DE. Since using it to dry things out, it's very rare I even see a fly, and the odor is just not there. Do you think they are drawn to food? Do you have feed inside your coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by