Roaches!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenshagg, Aug 9, 2009.

1. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Last night I got home a bit late and went out to close up the coop. I had a flash light and when I shined it inside there were roaches all over. I have never seen any during the day so I was a bit shocked. Does anyone know what I can use in the coop to get rid of all the roaches and will not hurt any of my chickens?

2. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    A damb big boot [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    I use DE and haven't seen a roach in the coop and I go out there at night all the time to do the head count before locking them in for the night.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    What kind of chickens do you have that won't eat them? My chickens will eat ANY BUG they see. With them free ranging the property, people can't figure out why I don't have any bugs. It is the chickens.

5. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Yeah, we don't have "roaches" here, but we DO have "ear wigs" and the chickens love 'em!

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Do your chickens free range or are they in a house and run. If the hens can not get to the outside of their house put sevin around it. Clean out the coop really well and change the litter. Roaches like damp litter. When it is humid the bottom layer of litter can be a breeding ground for them. DE helps and I also sprinkle some sevin on the floor. I top it with lots of wood shavings. My hens do not stay in during the day. They are out in the run. Some use spray sevin on the walls too. Gloria Jean

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My birds eat them.

8. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    My chickens are in their run or hen house during the day when I am gone but when I am home they are out free ranging. They are able to free range at least three hours a dayand during the weekend they are free ranging all day. My chickens don't seem to like bugs! I think they would rather eat grass than any bug. I have three Red Sexlinks and three Barred Rocks.

9. kezabel

kezabel Chillin' With My Peeps

Now that I've read this thread it started me thinking about the cockroaches here, usually at night they are everywere but now I think about it I haven't seen one in ages, Maybe it my chickens keeping them under control, I'll have to wait until the weather starts to warms up(winter here) to see if my chickens are irradicating the cockroaches. It will be great if they are because they are usually everywhere, especially on my back verander eating the guinea pig food out of their bowl. I hate cockroaches, they are abundant down here in oz.

10. tomdeggeater

tomdeggeater Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Rocky Hill, CT.
    These are handy for getting the roaches in the corners:
    [​IMG]

Tom [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by