1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

road island red

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cmontroy, May 28, 2009.

1. cmontroy

cmontroy New Egg

May 28, 2009
    hello I'm a new chicken owner, my grandpa had some chickens.when I was a kid , ( all kinds). but this is my first time I've have any. I have 5 hens and 1 roster . But im have some problems with one chick. she is smaller than the others and they bull her . And I see she all way's has poo stuck to her bum and it hardens, is she sick and should I take her out from the others . thanks cmontroy [​IMG]

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    got to keep her bum clean --- or it will cause a blockage --- and that could kill her

--edit --

reference pasty butt threads

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  3. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Welcome to the forum! She's not sick. Just keep an eye on the pasty butt but don't pull at it. If it won't come off with a wet towel just put her bottom under a gentle running water. Also make sure the water is the perfect temp. Not too hot, not too cold.

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Separating her would give her a chance to heal. If she is being bullied, she may be having trouble getting enough to eat and drink.

5. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I'd keep her separate and keep her bootay clear!!! [​IMG]

6. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    A soft toothbrush with some warm water works really good for removing stuck poo. [​IMG]

7. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    i would just keep an eye on her and keep her clean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by