1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Road trip before work tomorow AM to pickup our first frizzle hen :) !

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JP101010, Jun 8, 2011.

1. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

We ( mostly me haha) are so excited to find a local Frizzle and a hen to boot! The Guy who has her for sale an hour south of us could only meet us tomorow morning. so here we go , before work at 7 am going to pick up a chicken- more in gas $ than the sale price of the bird [​IMG] But this will be so great for our little spoiled flock of pet chickens
    we have currently 6 silkies/bantams- 3 hens 3 roos- plenty of room in the barn coop for more hens. contemplating giving away free our Black silkie rooster- he is beautiful but needs more lady friends or less fellow roosters than we can arrange for him at the moment
    Any suggestions for any special care for frizzles?
    any special instructions on whether i should quarintine? this hen just began laying and i will be visting the property where she lives- should i only quarintine if this person has a large flock or only if i can see unhealthy birds?
    i will ask whether this hen has ever been medicated or vaccinated. I know the basic unhealthy bird signs to look for :
    feathers& Feet
    parting the feathers to see the skin
    eyes & nose
    respiratory abnormalities
    overall body condition
    walk/ gait

any other suggestions-
    im soo excited you would think this is my first chicken-[​IMG]
    I guess this is the first time i have ever had to buy an adult chicken when i already have birds to think about at home bio security wise. to quarintine or not to quarintine? if so how long?

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Good luck! I hope we get tons if pictures and that she integrates well with your flock!

3. JP101010

[​IMG]
    This is her Picture in the Ad on craigslist
    Any Name Suggestions-We like People Names Only [​IMG]

Ill be so heartbroken if i get there and shes obviously sickly- So me and the chickens especially the roosters have our fingers crossed [​IMG]

just got a text from the guy saying he has other hens/pullets and much more- quails ,peacocks , etc
    [​IMG] - Dh is hating Craigslist right about now [​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    oh no! maybe youd better bring a friend home with her [​IMG]

5. JP101010

Im picturing our van full to the brim with peacocks and frizzle feathers hanging out the windows as we drive the toll road home [​IMG] clucking and weird peacock noises every time we stop through a toll booth
    haha not no im sure i will have some self control- maybe 2 or 3 hens [​IMG]

6. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    You know, she looks like a "puff".....just PUFF! LOL Too cute, can't wait for more pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by