Road trip Chickens? Is traveling to great forage for the day worth the stress?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by petrel, Oct 23, 2013.

1. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

My flock lives in a chicken tractor in my back yard. It gets moved every day, but they only get grass clover and the occasional bug in addition to their regular feed, kitchen scraps, and fodder. I lease a piece of land where I farm food plots for wild game. The place is covered with millet, ragweed, wheat, various grasses, sunflowers, and BUGS! Unfortunately, it is a half hour drive away.

I could build a "day tractor" (complete wire enclosure with sunshade, but no coop) on that land and take them down there on the days I go to farm. However, although I am new to chickens, I have observed that they prefer routine. Would access to the smorgasboard be worth the stress of travel and a new environment, especially if it can only happen a few dozen times a year?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens won't eat a lot of greens - though it seems they do. They are mostly going for bugs and seeds.
    Your food plots are probably full grown or close. Chickens primarily like new sprouts, tender greens or seed heads. Other than the bugs and seeds available there, I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort.
    They do live on routine. But once they knew they were going on a road trip, they may enjoy it.

3. petrel

The visits would primarily be in the fall when whole swaths of freshly bush hogged crop are available. There would be a tremendous amount of seed and insects. Lots of clippings to scratch through, but few fresh sprouts. In the spring, anywhere the wheat and millet overlap would be where I'd let them have at it.

4. petrel

So no one takes their flock out to a buffet occasionally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by