1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Road Trip!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by papschmitty, Feb 19, 2011.

1. papschmitty

papschmitty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    We're picking up our chicks tomorrow! [​IMG] We're getting 4 black sex links that are about 1 week old from a farm about 1 hour 45 minutes away. How do I keep them warm enough on the ride home? We will be using a small pet carrier to bring them home.

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Turn up the heat in your car or put hot water in a few plastic bottles.

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    get some of those hand warmers you shake

4. papschmitty

papschmitty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    My dad has these disc things that he used in his dog houses during the winter. You heat them up in the microwave and they're supposed to stay warm all day. I bet those would work! Should I bring food or water in the carrier or is the trip short enough that they wouldn't need it? Is there anything else I should bring?

5. nicokl502

nicokl502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Kansas City Mo
    the should be ok because when you get them shipped to you they just come it a box with nothing to keep them warm so they should be fine if in your car

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Most pharmacies carry a product called Therma-Care which is designed to place on your body for 8+ hours of heat. They work great on people so I would think if you placed one on the inside wall of a box (they stick like bandaids) it would be perfect for the 4 you have, and maybe even 4 more!! It can be purchased for less than $10 and you get three pads.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  7. TwoByTwo

TwoByTwo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2011
    Western KY
    i'm going on a road trip Monday and i was wondering the same thing. great idea's thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by