Roaming hen

Athiena14

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 23, 2018
St. Robert MO
So my female Turkey has decided to roam further away from home than usual. She has 1 acre of land she normally stays on, but decided to go about 3 houses down for some reason. She hasn't started laying yet so was wondering if maybe she is looking for a place to nest.

She can get out of the coop that she shares with ducks, chickens and her mate during the morning through the second floor, so I hadnt gone to feed anyone yet. And the food from yesterday was ruined by the rain.

If this is nesting she is looking for, she has made 2 nests by the coop but none inside. (Doesnt seem to like being in there a lot.) What can I do to help her make a nest at home. She is about 9 months old and is breeding every day

She probably bus looking for a nest site. I personally would clip her wings to keep her in. Otherwise you risk losing her to predators, or even annoyed neighbors.

No fencing around the yard
Sometimes turkeys will just wander off. Generally they follow the wild ones. If she has no mate she could also be looking for one. I keep my turkeys confined in a large run or else I'm sure they would slowly disappear.

So my female Turkey has decided to roam further away from home than usual. She has 1 acre of land she normally stays on, but decided to go about 3 houses down for some reason. She hasn't started laying yet so was wondering if maybe she is looking for a place to nest.

She can get out of the coop that she shares with ducks, chickens and her mate during the morning through the second floor, so I hadn't gone to feed anyone yet. And the food from yesterday was ruined by the rain.

If this is nesting she is looking for, she has made 2 nests by the coop but none inside. (Doesn't seem to like being in there a lot.) What can I do to help her make a nest at home. She is about 9 months old and is breeding every day
She is likely seeking a nest site that she thinks is appropriate which most likely does not coincide with what you think is appropriate.

One of the simplest methods is to lean a pallet or wide board against a wall and seed it with one or more fake eggs. It is best to make it so the tom cannot get to the nest. Toms will take a hen sitting on a nest as an invitation to breed. These unwanted breeding attempts can lead to broken eggs, an injured hen or at the worst, a dead hen.

She is likely seeking a nest site that she thinks is appropriate which most likely does not coincide with what you think is appropriate.

One of the simplest methods is to lean a pallet or wide board against a wall and seed it with one or more fake eggs. It is best to make it so the tom cannot get to the nest. Toms will take a hen sitting on a nest as an invitation to breed. These unwanted breeding attempts can lead to broken eggs, an injured hen or at the worst, a dead hen.
I dont have any pallets, will put a board across the wall so she can go behind it. Also put up a dog house next to the coop that someone suggested on the Facebook group, with a couple of dummy eggs. She seemed curious then went out to eat.
20190330_124958.jpg

Back
Top Bottom