Roaming Turkeys

Busty

Hatching
Mar 25, 2016
I just received two turkeys today for my bday and I have been keeping chickens for approx 27 years. I was just wondering can you let them Roam around your yard and then they will return at the end of the day like chickens. I can see already they are much more affectionate than chickens.

I let mine roam. For the most part they are homebodies.

Hens in the spring tend to roam the most looking for nesting areas.

But every now and then they will take off in a walkabout and have found them almost a mile over.

Keep them penned for awhile (couple weeks) keep em fed watered and shelterd
They will know where home is.

How big of an area do you have for them to roam?

Mine return to the approximate location. Sometimes they choose a tree, sometimes our screen enclosure, and sometimes the roof.

I have to walk them into their coop each and every night.

I personally will lock mine up as I don't care for the roaming, mine will range for part of the day, then go back to their large run. There are always posts on here about turkeys showing up in people's yards, those turkeys are coming from somewhere. Plus turkeys, especially hens will try to get high up, roofs, and some toms will hang outside your house pooping and being irritating. It depends on what you like.

I only have 1 acre but we have no fences and the properties behind us are 100's of acres and mostly Virgin bush.

I let mine free range when I am home. They hang around with the chickens most of the time in the woods. In the evening sometimes I have to herd them to their pen if they don't go by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom