Roast Goose

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Oregon Blues, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Got the goose cooked. It tuned out gorgeous to look at and delicious to eat.

But, oh my goodness, so much fat! I've got to cut back on how much I feed. I am going to try making sweet potato fries using my duck fry recipe and yams and goose fat.

I inserted slivers of fresh garlic under the skin and roasted at 300 degrees, in order to render the fat out. Goose was placed on the rack breast side down. Most of the garlic fell out, so next time, goose goes upside down with the skin well pierced, but all the garlic is going into the body cavity.

Goose was turned over for the last hour and temperature increased to 350, mostly because I put dressing, yams, and brandied apples into the oven at that time.

The meat is reminiscent of duck. Texture is quite nice. It's firm, yet tender to chew. More like quality beef steak than poultry, except it tastes like poultry and doesn't taste anything like beef. All the meat is dark and it is very rich. There's not a huge amount of meat on an 11 1/2 pound goose. It's nothing like carving a turkey.

Cooks notes: you need a roasting rack that gets the bird well off the bottom of the pan. When I flipped the bird over, I simply moved it to a different roasting pan instead of trying to drain the fat out of the original pan. I set the original pan off to the side for the fat to cool and then I put it into small freezer containers to store in the freezer. Fat is very rich, but doesn't seem greasy, so I am looking forward to learning how to cook with it.

Bird was butchered at 24 weeks. Meat was lovely butchered at that age. I will butcher earlier next year because I don't think the additional growth was worth the extra feed cost. But there was no problem with the age of the geese being too old for a roaster.

2. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Tonight the legs get smoked with plum wood smoke and an orange glaze. I recommend care about the barbecue because with the amount of fat that rendered out of my roast goose, I suspect you could burn your house down if you put a fresh goose onto the barbecue. You'd get a grease fire that would bring out the fire department.

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Oregon, what breed was it?

I love goose fat, btw. There's nothing like a stash of solid goose fat in the freezer, to get you through the year!

4. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    feathersnuggles, 1/2 Blue American, 1/2 Pomeranian.

The goose and sweet potato fies turned out really delicious but didn't crisp up at all.

Legs and wings (already roasted) were marinated and warmed on the barbecue with pear wood smoke. This turned out wonderfully

Marinade:

1/2 C orange juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 C Dijon mustard (I used 1./2 the amount because I ran out)
    1/3 C brown sugar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 C honey
    1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Marinate and refrigerate for 3-6 hours.

Cooks notes: The marinade has a lot of sugar in it, so it burns really easily. Use indirect heat, keep heat low, and watch carefully. Also, original recipe is written for raw goose to be marinated and cooked in a smoker. Marinade flavors go really well with the flavor of goose. Original recipe calls for hickory wood smoke, but I prefer fruit wood, so that's what I used.

5. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Goose fat is prob better then any medication you will ever get at a doctor for colds and flu aswell.

6. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    which breed of goose would make the best for cooking ? this recipe sounds delicious.

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Thanks Oregon Blues!

8. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Digger, I think that all breeds of geese are good for cooking. I've never sampled different breeds, so I don't know how, or even if, they vary.

9. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    That is definately something i am going to try. Thank you.

10. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG] I would love to try goose.... I was hoping for photos! Next time, please! ...and samples! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by