roasted my last cornish today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mxpres, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    And it was sooooooo delicious [​IMG] All I have left now are several black broilers and several RIR roosters,their going to be processed shortly,I decided not to raise more cornish during the summer because of the heat,but next spring I will be raising more of the cornish,Its hard to believe how flavorful the cornish are when processed correctly,a word of advice to those doing to process soon,do not,try to take shortcuts,age the birds as decribed in the forums,it makes all the difference in a delicious tasting roaster and a so,so bird,I want to thank everyone that offered advice and ideas,I have never tasted a better chicken,even better than ,,you know whos,and those (others),and I did it myself,,,: [​IMG]

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Are you talking about the pure Cornish or the cornish mix broilers? I've got 25 broilers in the brooder right now, but am debating getting pure Cornish next spring. What do you suggest?

Shelly

3. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If you're looking for anything like the Cornish X, you'll be disappointed.

4. mxpres

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Go with the pure cornish X,like jaku said,with anything else you will be disappointed. From the brooder to the freezer in eight weeks,and a delicious tasting bird. [​IMG]

5. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Can you summarize how you aged your birds? I'm going to raise Cornish X for the first time this Fall. Thanks!

6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The heat and humidity are so bad here at times (Arkansas) we have to raise the broilers in March -May and a fall batch of Sept-October ( 8 week intervals). That way its not too hot or cold. They sure do taste good too; like you said this forum really helps out on raising them to be "the best they can be !". [​IMG]

7. mxpres

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    the most important thing is to let the bird cool in salt water and ice ,with a mixture of one cup salt to one gallon of water for at least 24 to 48 hours before freezing,this allows the muscles to relax and makes the bird much more tender and allows the blood to finish draining from the bird.I make sure I wrap the bird with enough wrap to prevent freezer burn,you can freeze the birds whole or cut up,whatever fits your needs,they are many recipes on here to explain cooking methods or as I do,,create one and share it with the members here,I like to use an oven bag and cook for one and one half hours at 350 degrees,after removing the bird I like to let it sit for at least ten minutes before opening the bag,the bird will continue to cook after you remove it from the oven,im sure they are others that will be glad to share their ideas,good luck with your flock,, [​IMG]

8. Milliemay

Milliemay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Southwest Wisconsin
    We skipped the salt, and just put them in ice for the first 24 hours, then in the fridge another 24. Vaccum sealed them, and they are yummy!

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would tend to think that much salt in the water would be a little much for a simple rest. For a brine, maybe, but I wouldn't use that much on all my birds. I definitely use salted water, but I use only a few cups of salt in a 35 gallon barrel of ice water. Were you referring to brining your birds?

10. mxpres

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    I was thinking that as the ice melts it would weaken the strength of the brine.I have read where some have used less salt with good results,I suppose its whatever works in different situations,,next time I will use less salt and more ice, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by