Roasted Pekin

Oregon Blues

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Central Oregon
Finally, I got one of the big ducks roasted. Let me tell you: home raised Pekin duck is well worth the effort. It was melt in your mouth tender and juicy.

I roasted it just plain. A little salt and pepper. We wanted to taste pure duck to see what we've got in the freezer.. I'll do the fancier recipes with the next birds.

I also poured off some of the melted fat and made duck fries. Very good.

There were a few little pin feathers left on the bird that were being difficult, so my son went and got his fishing tackle box and took out the hemostat that he uses to tie fishing line. It works like magic to get hold of those slippery pin feathers. He said it is a cheap one sold for fishing. I'm sure a quality surgical hemostat would cost like pure gold, but they can be had pretty reasonable.

(He soaked that hemostat in bleach water to disinfect)

Repeat: do not give corn to the Pekins. My Swedish were too thin so I added corn to the diet. The Swedish came out perfect. The Pekins gained bit too much fat. But not enough fat to make them greasy. Nothing like store bought duck. The meat was perfect, but there was a good lump of fat stored at the tail. Plenty of fat to make duck fries with a bunch left over that will go into the freezer.

They are good eaters, those Pekins. The three that I kept are always the first to the feeders. There's no worry about putting weight on them.

This was a good post. I have only eaten a couple of our ducks and they were not the pekins but I would like to get to raising some again for meat.

Pekin duck breast with a little A1 on the side is as good or better than steak.

Sauerkraut and the rest of the duck in a slow cooker -- delicious.

Oooh. Sauerkraut and the crock pot. That sounds just right. I'm going to try it.

I've done a couple of the smaller ducks into stir fry with snow peas. Next spring it will be stir fried duck with asparagus.

I did duck with rice noodle and oyster sauce. Very good.

I was looking forward to duck and eggplant, but my garden didn't produce any eggplant this year. Bad year for veggies all around.

I like sauerkraut and it just sounds like a good combination.

Last edited:
I prefer to have more fat than none at all, because I can trim fat if theres too much, but hard to make if you don't have any to start with. Ducks are lean meat anyway and with you keeping the skin on allways helps.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom