Roasted Pumpkin Soup, Roasted Pumpkin Rolls...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Nov 3, 2010.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

OR WHAT WE DID WITH OUR JACK O LANTERN

Got the wife a nice sized pumpkin at Walmart for $3.99... About the size of a volleyball. It was a very dry and hot summer so I was surprised this one had any meat to it. I cut it in half Sunday night and roasted wedges of it with a butter and curry glaze - served with vegetable packs with a talapia filet stuff in them it was terrific. I had about half of the 1st half leftover so made PUMPKIN ROLLS, I simly used the roasted pumpkin in place of sweet potatoes - AND massive update to my sweet potato rolls recipe, I used buttermilk instead of whole milk. darn it really makes them moist and delicious.

So yesterday I roasted the 2nd half, simply cleaned out the inside, put it upside down in a pan of water for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. Let it cool, sliced and peeled the pumpkin, cut into chunks and made the following amazing soup...

Mis en place
    6 pieces of bacon, cut in chunks
    1 medium yellow onion, small dice
    1 stalk celery, small dice
    1 Tablespoon garlic, fine dice
    1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, fine dice
    1 Tbls homemade curry powder
    4-5 cups cubed pumpkin meat
    1 cup dry white wine

1 box chicken stock, about 32 oz.

1 cup water
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 cup diced canned tomatoes
    1/2 cup long grain rice

6 scallions, chopped

In a large dutch oven slow cook the bacon until it is nicely browned all over, now add onion, celery, garlic and ginger to pan. Saute about 3 minutes until onion starts to go clear and aromatics make the kitchen smell great. Add curry powder and saute about 3 minutes. Add pumpkin chunks and a couple of glugs of EVO and saute about 5 minutes - you want to see some color on the pumpkin. Deglaze with white wine, reduce until almost dry. Now add chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and allow to cook about 30 minutes. Now puree soup in pot with an immersible food wand until the soup is smooth and creamy. Now add canned tomatoes, buttermilk and long grain rice. Continue to simmer about 30 minutes, stir bottom of pan to avoid clumping or sticking rice. Check for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. Add chopped scallions and cook an additional 4 minutes.

Serve in large bowls with dollop of sour cream. Toasted pumpkin rolls are a great side.

[​IMG]

Homemade curry powder recipe
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164468

Sweet potato rolls recipe - substitute buttermilk for milk and roasted pumpking instead of sweet potatos.... Amazing !!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=165770

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    YUMM. This looks really good![​IMG]

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    That looks yummy! I have a whole lot of home grown pumpkins and I think one of them is going to be this soup!

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Search for KatytheChickenLady's crockpot version of this soup with black beans.
    Very similar ingredients & it cooks itself.
    (I admit to being a lazy cook)

Differences:
    her recipe calls for 1 large can pumpkin puree - I used homegrown cut into chunks
    In place of the curry she uses pumpkin pie spice, I subbed ginger, cinnamon & allspice - about 1t each.
    The only thing I did differently was pre-cook the bacon about 3/4 through before adding to the crockpot.
    Sour cream topping is replaced by crumbled gorgonzola - but why not use both : 9

I brought this to a potluck and it was devoured!
    8 people went through 5qts of soup and there was plenty of other great food.

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey 2Dogs !! Long time my friend...

I got taught to do things the slow old fashioned way - to build layers of flavor, to caramelize the vegetables so they unlock their natural sugars - to roast my spices before grinding them, to deglaze the flavor bits off the bottom of the pan with some dry wine. Heck, I'm retired so cooking is a leisurely thing to me. Not to be rushed. Those old enameled cast iron pots are just the trick for this kind of thing.

By the way this soup leftover is like a good spaghetti is the next day - much better tasting.

6. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Hey Guy!
    Long time, no post [​IMG]
    I still get excited when I see your moniker next to a thread here [​IMG]

Until the Golden Day when I too can join the ranks of Retired Persons, my crockpot is my friend.
    I toss stuff in before leaving for work (@ 8A) then come home to a house that smells like someone cooked dinner for me!

I save the loooooong, slooooow cooking for weekends.
    Then I enjoy filling the house with the aromas and taking the time to relax and let things happen - culinary-wise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by