1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

roasted red peppers--WHAT TO DO WITH 'EM?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ninjapoodles, Aug 30, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    In my CSA basket today are a sackful of big red Marconni peppers, freshly fire-roasted. They're sitting on the kitchen counter right now, and I'm in here wondering what in the world I'm gonna do with them!

Any suggestions?

2. punkin

punkin Songster

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I roasted a few red peppers this year myself. I read that if you freeze them, they will maintain their flavor and consistency. That's what I did with mine. I also Googled roasted red peppers and found you can make oil with them.

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I probably will stick them in the freezer, just so I have time to figure out what to do with them!

4. tpflabs

tpflabs Songster

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    Does anyone know how to make the canned variety of them? packed in oil? how would you go about processing that?
    I spend a fortune on them at the store..

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Songster

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Roasted red pepper and tomato soup. My fave- freezes well too...

6. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Puree them with some roasted garlic to make a spread to go on burgers. Yummy!

7. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    JayBird+16 :

Puree them with some roasted garlic to make a spread to go on burgers. Yummy!

Oooh, good idea!

MM, I wish I knew how to pack them properly in oil, too.​

8. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    I put them on sandwiches/wraps, chop them up into tomato/spaghetti sauce, and put them out on platters at parties. I eat them with humus. I always include them with my grilled veggies.

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Unspeakably great in corn bread, my dears . . .

10. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Corn bread--yum! I normally make a sweet, moist cornbread. Would the peppers go well in that type of cornbread? Do you adjust the ingredients at all? Would a more rustic, savory cornbread recipe be better?

Will it rain tomorrow? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: