Robin's egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tebs78, May 8, 2008.

1. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    My daughter found a robins egg on the grass......my daughter wanted to put it in the bator, what are the chances of the embryo even being alive? I humored her and put it in, but I hardly doubt it could have possibly survived. I don't even know how to hatch that!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I once hatched a killdeer egg that I found.

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    If it doe hatch remember robins eat bugs and worms. Maybe if it did hatch you could feed it with a hand puppet of a robin and release into the wild...... hey it could happen [​IMG]

4. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    it hatched? how long did it take? What temp and humidity did you have set?

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

the blue of a robin's egg has got to be one of my favorite shades of blue...and I love to watch them bounce across the yard in search of bugs.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I didn't have it there more than a week I don't think....it's been a long time ago. I was just finishing up a hatch and stuck it in on a whim. It unfortunately died because I couldn't get it to eat. It was way to tiny to put in with the chicks.

7. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Me too! We have a robins nest just above the chicken coop and run. They ahve already fled the nest and follow mom and dad everywhere. i made the mistake of sitting under the nest one day and got pooped on LOL!

8. EllyMae

there is a cedar sapling next to my run and there is a robin's nest with three beautiful eggs in it. What a coincidence that you have one next to yours too![​IMG]

9. peruvian_princess

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Isnt it though! They come back every year to the same nest. I love seeing them at the compost pile diggin for worms. They arent really afraid of me either.

10. EllyMae

this is the first year for a robin to build a nest in this little tree. It's interesting that she doesn't leave when I come out to the run. I guess she sees me with my flock and thinks I'm ok, LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by