Robins eggs/ Hope I did the right thing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MeatKing, May 16, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

So as it turns out we had a Robins nest in my chimmeny. It obviously had to go. So the 5 eggs were still warm, I put them in another Robins nest. She's here every year, on my patio under the shadded part. she pretty tame and last year, while she was laying, we startled her and she flew away and dropped an egg. So we put it in her nest and she took it and raised it. So I thuoght well it worth a try to put these 5 extra eggs in. Well she's sitting on them. :0) got my fingers crossed that she's able to raise so many. Think when they hatch I will buy some worms for them and place around her nest. So she doesn't have to hunt too far for worms.
    Just wanted to share with everyone. Anyone ever tried this before?

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like you did a wonderful thing.

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    A robin had built a nest in a low tree just outside my kitchen one year and I was able to get good pictures of the babies. This picture is when they were about 1 week old and they were very crowded and there were only 4 of them. Did the nest already have eggs in it? I'm thinking that it may be just too crowded for the babies once they start to grow and they will just fall out of the nest before they are ready to.

[​IMG]

4. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Probably the best thing you could have done. Those youngsters do look a little crowded, though! [​IMG] Well, they also look like they might be about ready to fledge. Anyways, I've never seen a robin hatch five eggs, let alone more, but if she's partially tame you might be able to pull it off together. Best of luck! [​IMG]

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You are absolutely right that a robin is the best mom for a robin! I was so afraid this thread was going to say, "so I took them and put them in my incubator" which would be such a bad idea on so many levels, lol! But you did a sensible thing.

I do have some concerns, though. If the eggs were at different stages of incubation, she will push the younger eggs out of the nest after all the other eggs hatch. That may be a good thing, though, because five eggs is a lot for a robin, as has already been said. She may not have space or energy for them all.

The good thing about the worms, though, is that the dad will take care of that. In the robin world, the mama sits, the daddy hunts. She may leave for brief periods but at least right after they hatch she will just sit there.

I once rescued a baby robin after its nest was blown out of the bush in a storm. We found most of the babies dead on the ground, and the mama nowhere around. So we picked up the nest and put the one remaining baby in it and waited for the mother to come back. She never did, but a little later I saw the daddy going back and forth feeding the baby. It was a warm day, so we just let the dad feed it all day (I did try offering a dish of worms, but he ignored them and kept hunting) and meanwhile I found a wildlife rehabber who said the best thing would be to bring it to her that evening after the dad stopped feeding for the day. It was still early enough in the year that she was concerned about nighttime temps and/or rain. The little guy did fine under her care--but she said that one day of being fed by the dad made all the difference. She had another robin that came in the same day that had never been fed by its parents, and the difference in their vigor was amazing. The poor little guy who had never had dad feeding it did not make it--our little guy did.

People just can't raise wild birds the way wild birds can.

So I think you did a sensible thing and I hope it works out great. How cool that you have a "tame" robin in your yard. [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I have tons of tree swallows and last year a pair of barn swallows. First the female barn swallow died in her nest and fell out. Then the male took over and died the same way. After that we've checked the nest and found 6 eggs. We were debating what to do. Toss or put them with into the tree swallow boxes and risk that they die of the same illness. We've decided to put them into the boxes. To keep it simple on those we've put one egg into different boxes. They did hatch and we saw families with tree and barn swallow babies. A couple of days ago I've found a starlings egg in the grass my husband was going to mow still warm. Did the same thing, but I'm not sure if that will work with the tree swallows. The egg is so much larger and I don't know where else to put it. So far I can tell the swallow is sitting on it. We will see.
    Katharina

7. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Dont put out a dish of worms. If you're going to buy something for them- buy mealworms and/or crickets- you can pull their back legs off to keep them from hopping away.

8. msteresaann

msteresaann Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Washington
    I raised mealworms for the robins that nested on our porch. I would set out a dish of mealworms and within minutes the robins would be cleaning them up. [​IMG]

9. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    A mom and pop robin have to make 100 trips to feed their 3 offspring a day... in a nest made for three... The likelihood that they will all survive is slim... It would have been more humane to let them go cold.. Otherwise the other 3 will starve. The parents never stop during the day... the infants need food every 10 to 15 minutes.... It takes both parents to raise them.

10. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Quote:I would go remove that starling egg. Starlings are an invasive species and not native to the area. One starling baby will likely mean the rest of the swallow clutch dies because they are stronger more feisty babies and get all the food (the parents preferentially feed the biggest baby).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by