Robin's Happy Chicken Farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by robbiebobbie, Sep 6, 2014.

1. robbiebobbie

robbiebobbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2014
    Hello Everyone! Newbi here. I have had my chickens since May of 2014. Can't wait until I start getting eggs. I hope they lay them in the nesting boxes as I allow my chickens to run free. They always come back home in the evening. I placed a plastic egg in two of the nesting boxes. We have four nesting boxes. Is there something I should do to get them to lay eggs in the boxes? We have 22 chickens. Will kill some off this fall for meat. We have 5 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Dominiques, 9 Black Jersey Giants and 4 Bandies. I don't what kind of Bandies they are; but they sure are bullies. We plan on keeping around 12 or 13 over winter. I am sure I will have plenty of questions for all of you. I love raising and taking care of these chickens. Would love to make a small business of it, if I could. Love this site! Got a lot of my information here for building a coop, etc. Well, just a little bit about myself here. Hope someone can let me know about the nesting boxes and my chickens laying eggs in them. Bye for now.

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome to the flock!! [​IMG] Check the garden daily - under bushes, anywhere quiet and fairly safe. They will start out by laying all over the place, but should eventually get the idea of nest boxes. If for some reason they continue to lay all over, lock them in the coop for a day or so. It will likely take a week/10 days before they get the idea that you want them to lay in the boxes......... good luck with your ladies, enjoy! [​IMG]

3. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information. Ask a question and you will get many good answers.

Read the FAQ below.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

X2 on Boskelli1571's advice.

Chickens like dark nest boxes, so make sure they are located in a darker place (not in the front of the coop, for example). A good layer of bedding will also make them more appealing.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You've received some good advice from Boskelli1571 and Wyandottes7. You have a good mix of breeds. I'm assuming by Bandies that you're referring to Bantams. If you will post pics of them (full body profiles showing heads, legs, and tails) on our What Breed or Gender? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this, I'm sure our experts there can ID them for you. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. Good luck with your flock.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Good luck with your flock and I hope you start to get those eggs soon! Make the boxes very inviting to lay in. You might confine them at first when they start laying to help train them to lay in the boxes.

Welcome to our flock!

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Put a golf ball or two in each of the nesting boxes, chickens like to lay where another hen has been. They think the golf balls are eggs and will usually start laying in the nest.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by