Rob's New HomeMade Chicken Feeder

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nifty-Chicken, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Okay everyone... I finally upgraded from my old "FrankenFeeder " and built my own large capaity feeder.

Here is the whole story:

HomeMade Chicken Feeder

Here is the before:

[​IMG]

... and here is the after:

[​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice! Great what a little plywood and paint can do, eh? [​IMG]

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Where do you stash the ladder? [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Now THATS a good looking feeder! LOVE the pink!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Quote:DOH... my wife said the thought it was pink too. When I pulled it from the can and put in on it looked more like a reddish brown. Oh well. [​IMG]

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    We need details now, How do you fill it. Where is it located, looks like older barn is there an upstairs? Inquiring minds want to know. How much does it hold?? DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Good job on the feeder!

I love the color... funny how that paint sometimes works out, sometimes not exactly what you had planned.

I'm working on the new coop for my girls when they grow up (will make room in the chickNbarn for some bantys in the spring... [​IMG] ). Anyway, I needed red paint to match the outbuildling and the chickNbarn. Went to the home depot and found exterior, high quality RED paint on the OOPS bin for only $5. This was $30/gal paint, mind you!

There were 3 gal of the same color. Painted today and Whooo - just the right color! I was dreading that when I put it on it would either look too pink or too blackish red.

I'll have to post pics of the new digs when I get it finished...

Susan

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I was wondering the same when I asked about the ladder. Does it fill from upstairs or an outside wall?

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:I was wondering the same when I asked about the ladder. Does it fill from upstairs or an outside wall?

Maybe it gets filled once and when the food runs out they are just out of luck, maybe rob is out there now trying to figure that out too. He might have forgot about the refilling part

10. Nifty-Chicken

I thought the ladder comment was a joke.

Keep in mind this is only 43 inches tall (3.5 feet). My chicken run isn't full height, it is only about 4 feet tall.

I designed it so I could fill from the outside of the run as seen here:

[​IMG]

By my calculation it holds about 2580 cubic inches of feed. More than enough space for a full bag of layer pellets.

So... what does this all mean? Well, basically I only need to feed my girls 33% as often. Heck, now that I've got this high capacity feeder and the auto waterer, I could go on vacation for 2 weeks and everybody would be fine.

...now, if I can just design an egg tray that will roll the eggs into a refrigerator for when I get back! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by