1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rochester, Ny and Renting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SteelHorse, Feb 20, 2013.

1. SteelHorse

SteelHorse New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Hi! New to the idea, trying to find cheap and recycled ways to build my chicken coop this spring. I have raised chickens, but they lived on my friend's farm once they were feathered and grown up. I do have dogs, but I know that introducing animals slowly they can loose the "stressed out" reaction. I also have two bunnies, completely indoors, a cat, and many other reptiles. I do kids birthday parties, and I was hoping to get one or two chickens friendly enough. I'm opening to ideas, tips and any points in the right direction. I do live in the city, but the backyard is big enough for dogs to still run and be away from the chickens.

Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SteelHorse, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Lots of folks on BYC have built some great coops from discarded, reclaimed, or re-purposed materials - old doors and windows, pallets, etc. Check out the link below - it is all up designing and maintaining your coop and run. You can also do a BYC search for 'recycled' or 'cheap' coops materials - should be lots of hits. Good luck to you and have fun!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

And here you can view various coops - from the simple to the complex.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] We have a few threads on building coops with recycled materials around here, somewhere in the coops section [​IMG] If you type keywords, such as "build coop, recycled materials" into Chicken Google, aka the search bar (above, just below the brown header) you will get lots of threads and articles on the topic.. Ditto with introducing dogs to chickens. I've seen a few great threads with lots of tips on here. So get chicken googling!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

There are definately some chickens that are friendlier - cochins and silkies are often very docile, and I find my Speckled Sussex to be very social.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    HI from KY and[​IMG]

7. sueblack

sueblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Saegertown, PA
    Welcome! Lots of great info on this site.

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by