Rochester, WA and completely new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pattytoo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Pattytoo

Pattytoo New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    I am still in the planning phase, so I haven't purchased any chickens yet. I am currently getting my materials together for the coop and run, and doing research into breeds and care.

There are several free range chicken and duck flocks in our neighborhood, and I'm in a rather rural spot on a nice bit of acreage.

I'm currently pretty sold on getting some Dominiques, but I'd like to find a local breeder (if possible). Failing that, I'd really like feedback about reputable and reliable places to get chicks online. I'm figuring that I'll start with a group of 3-5. I haven't decided on the exact number yet. I am also very up in the air about whether to get one rooster for the group, so that they have a protector when they walk around in the yard during the day.

The personality of the birds matters more than their egg laying, as they will be beloved pets.

I'd love any advice you might have about breeds and reputable breeders/online stores.

Thank you!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Check out Meyer Hatchery or MyPetChicken for Dominiques if you can find a breeder.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'd say have a look in the Where am I? Where are you! section, find your state thread and ask your local members what is available and where to find them and which breeds are best for your climate etc. There's a great chicken chart you can look at to see which breeds you like and their qualities and egg shell colours etc:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Have you looked at the Coops section yet? Some great designs there. Enjoy your chicken adventures!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined us. Cant wait to see pics of your new chickens :)

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings form Kansas, Pattytoo, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! X2 on sumi's advice. Best of luck on your Dominque search!

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

There should also be a thread on Dominiques in the Breeds section of the Forum

7. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Welcome from Seattle.The WA state thread is very active and helpful.

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!! Glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You are considering a durable old breed for your flock. Go to "Where am I? Where are you!" and locate the thread for your state. Someone there may be able to help you with a local source of Domiiques.

10. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG] from Idaho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by