Rock Cornish Cross Question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by 13 chickens, Aug 4, 2013.

1. 13 chickens

13 chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    does the meat turn light yellow a while after freezing

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    I would say yes, although it has been a year seince we had the cornish X our last meat birds were freedom ranger,

3. bowhunter862

bowhunter862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Hazelton, WV
    Here's a shot of one in my freezer right now. I can't see yellow really. Maybe a very light tan, some may be a bit pink, but I can't find a yellow one. Are you seeing fat or meat?

[​IMG]

4. 13 chickens

Jul 20, 2012
    meat

5. 13 chickens

Jul 20, 2012
    how did you butcher yours

6. bowhunter862

Apr 28, 2013
    Hazelton, WV
    I place the bird in the cone, kill with a scalpel slice, bleed, scald, pluck, gut, wash, dry, package, weigh, and place them in the fridge for 3 days before freezing. My system produces a perfect bird for the table for me.

7. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Why the 3 days in the frige before the freezer.

8. bowhunter862

Apr 28, 2013
    Hazelton, WV
    The "rest" period which, some say should be 1 day, some say should be a week and some say is unnecessary is supposed to allow time for all rigor mortis to pass from the carcass before freezing. It is believed, by most anyway, that freezing a bird before the rigor mortis has passed will result in tough meat. I have frozen them without the wait and have tested 1, 2, & 3 day resting period. My experience is; immediate freezing DOES make the meat tough, but there is little difference between the 1 and 3 day rest. I always process mine on a Friday morning so Sunday night just before bed, I transfer them to the freezer. It helps me remember and doesn't interrupt the rest of my weekend plans.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. bachbach1

bachbach1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    I hear you, myself I don't know about toughness. My father was a USDA meat inspector, and he always pounded into me that beef would take a beating, as far as fridge time, but pork and poultry need to be frozen a lot faster. He not among the living anymore for me to ask, I will give it a try the next time I am chickenmurderin, that is a Texas word I think LOL. One of my friends taught it to me when it came over in the middle of me processing 30 chickens. I saw your user name do you hunt deer with a bow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by