1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rock dove vs. Chickens. Who will win?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barn_cat5643, Jul 13, 2011.

1. barn_cat5643

barn_cat5643 New Egg

Jul 13, 2011
    I have a Rock dove "male" about 4 to 5 years old and I was wondering if I could put my chickens in with him when the chicks are about Rock dove fledgling size. I have a large aviary that
    they would both be living in, and if some thing arose I would take care of it but I was wondering if any one has and similar "roommates".

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If the aviary is large enough he will probably ignore them, and all will be fine if he has a higher perch that he can fly to so that they can't "bug" him when they mature.

3. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Quote:That's exactly what I thought. [​IMG]

4. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I think I would worry about it. At least once the chickens got bigger. Others have posted about their chickens killing (and eating) wild birds they managed to catch.

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I have two large Modena pigeons that live in a growout area with young chickens. They have their own food and waterer but they will fly down and eat with the young chickens. They like it much better than the cage they were in.This was just supposed to be a "get by" but it has really worked out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by