Rock feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kkowa, Jan 30, 2014.

1. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.): Rooster about 5 months has always been lighter than others has had plenty to eat and drink just a little lighter than the others always thought it was due to being young and growing. he is also a LF bird
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. has always had crocked toes but now both feet and upper hock joints are swollen solid they are cold to the touch and when i press on them they do not move at all stone like almost can not bend toes but no indication of frost bite at all he also stomps around and fluffs his feathers out and when I pick him up he pukes almost and it smells very fermented
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? noticed the swelling today has been nice out lately also
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no other birds have it.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea what could have caused it I believe it could be genetic but without knowing where his parents are from I can not say for sure .
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. his diet has been scratch along with feather fixer 18% protein along with free choice of grit and oyster shell along with table scraps
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. poop looks normal as far as I can tell
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? nothing so far
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? anything just want to get him better
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use we have a 6 by 4 coop that is home to 3 LF hens and 4 Bantie hens is house on pine shavings also under that we have a heated blanket. What can I do to help if I have to cull him I will but want every option first
    thank you for the help
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If he's eating and drinking and pooping, maybe it's not bothering him? Maybe try soaking his legs in warm Epsom salts?

4. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    [​IMG] here is a new pic of it I don't know what I can do to help

5. kkowa

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I can tell that it hurts him to walk and he cant keep his balance very well though he does stay upright

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm glad you posted the picture. Do you think there's a possibility of lacking some vitamin , or not able to utilize a vitamin? It does look awful. [​IMG]

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you try to get a clearer picture with more light on the feet? There is a condition called osteopetrosis which happens in types of leukosis ( a virus) in chickens. I can't find a lot of info to link for you. It causes thickening of the long bones. Have his toes always been curled under? In the picture it looks like he is walking on his knuckles--is that correct? I would definitely start him on poultry vitamins in the water, although I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but it is harmless.

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could be anything from kidney disease,heart disease or veins in leg not functioning properly. The first thing i will suggest is to change his feed,i believe feather fixer w mite fighter contains levels of salt 0.25%-0.65% and sodium levels of 0.15%-0.23% as well as amino acids lysine and methionine,calcium levels of 3.25%-3.75%. Is this product used year round? Did his leg issues start shortly after being on this feed? Start with changing feed,see if he improves. I'm thinking possible edema,which occurs usually in the legs/feet due to high salt/sodium intake.

I am questioning feed b/c the feed i use has salt levels of 0.4% and sodium levels of 0.16%.

Neglected to mention that my observations are based on human reactions to high sodium levels,mentioning it to you b/c the symptoms are similar.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suspect that a vitamin or mineral deficiency as a chick could possibly be the problem. Now that the cockeral is 5 months old, I'm not sure if providing him a nutrient supplement will help him or not, but it's worth a try. You can purchase Avian Super Pack from Jefferslivestock.com and give it to him and hopefully there might be improvement. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. Here's a link:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack/camid/LIV/cp/AB-P1/
    If the Super Pack doesnt work, you can give it to 2+ week old chicks for 3 days if you intend to have chicks in the future...same dosage.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by