Rock hard chicken egg, empty inside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kgrela, Feb 16, 2017.

1. kgrela

kgrela New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    So my husband got some eggs from a farmer near his work and they were all fine until I came upon one that looked fine but wouldn't crack. It finally did and it was empty inside not moisture nothing. What happened to this egg? It shell inside almost looks like ceramic. I'm so confused .[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Wow, that's one for the record books! You might want to let that farmer know!

1 person likes this.
  3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Uhm, maybe it IS ceramic....

Gary

1 person likes this.
  4. kgrela

kgrela New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    Lol yea except it's proabbaly not and I don't think this guy would trick my husband as my husband helps him giving him wood shaving for the farm. Ohhh man I just thought of something do farmers put fake eggs to get the chicken to lay eggs. ??? I just remembered my grandpa who's a farmer say something of that sort!!! Oops is that possible ?

5. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes people do use fake ceramic eggs, I am sure it was not a trick just a mistake!

Gary

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    1 person likes this.
  7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Ok I've never seen the inside of a fake egg but I couldn't help but smile...

Yes that's a fake egg. Yes people use them to show chickens where to lay. Some of them look so real that they get picked up by mistake.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Most of us who use those type of fake eggs have 'gathered' them at one point and/or another....
    ...I haven't broken(don't think I would, but never day never) or sold one as of yet.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I had to mark mine to keep from accidentally gathering them with my real eggs... I drew a circle around each one with a black Sharpie so I will always see the marking no matter how it's positioned in the nest.

10. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I only have brown egg layers so i bought white ceramic eggs.[​IMG] I'm glad you broke it. It's interesting to see inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by