1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rock Hounds? Any?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by debilorrah, Nov 7, 2010.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I try this post about every 6 months.... I love rocks, trying ID them, going to shows where they have both raw and polished stones, and who that loves rocks doesn't have a trilobyte??

Here is one of my favorite finds.

[​IMG]

One rock two sides = fish:

[​IMG]

And the cat that ate it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. dragonlaurel

dragonlaurel Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2009
    Hot Springs,
    That's beautiful. We used to go rock hounding. We are still both interested in it bu no car right now.

3. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I hound in the Herkimer diamond mines. Lot's of fun, but breaking dolomite limestones is...well... painful to the muscles [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

Out here we have a club - the Victor Valley Gem and Mineral club and they have a "tailgate" every year, and there are people there with their trucks parked and their good in the bed. Some have tables set up, but this tailgate is really the true rock hound showing and selling their find. I have found some amethyst, brazilian agate, red jasper, flourite, green crystal, and TONS of geodes. Some already cut and some you pick and have cut right there. I am runnin out of room!

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I love rocks, polishing gemstones & rocks and making jewelry. And I love geodes, crystals & colored glass. Does that make me a Rockhound? I would LOVE to dig in a gem mine! [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

Quote:I am fortunate to live in the Mojave desert and I can find some really cool rocks in my back yard!

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I absolutely love "rocks", but I'm picky. . . We don't have mines or anything around here, so I go to Rock Shops for specifics. And I tend to spend a lot of money. [​IMG] I'm particularly fond of Wulfenite.

My expertise goes more into the crystals/minerals though, not the "rock" type, err, rocks. And on a matrix. Not polished.

8. debilorrah

Quote:YES it does!!! I am so tickled to have people respond this time!!!!

9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Quote:Ooh, Debi, can I root through your collection?? I would love to see it all. [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

A geode I had cut in front of me

[​IMG]

I have no clue what this is, but its pretty!

[​IMG]

Brazilian agate - the pic doesn;t do it justice.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by